The mission of the Pinellas County Health Department is to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.
With in the Office of Health Promotion and School Health we work with local schools, government and community partners to keep people of all ages healthy and to implement policies, systems and environmental changes for all members of the community.
Programs under the Office of Health Promotion and School Health are:
Communities Putting Prevention to Work (CPPW), a 2 year grant funded by the Centers for Disease Control that represents a community-wide coordination of efforts to use prevention as a means of targeting obesity in the fight against chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes. CPPW has been working to make the “healthy choice the easy choice” for Pinellas County residents. Some specific efforts include:
- Encouraging more healthy foods in schools and in workplace vending machines
- Enabling farmers’ markets and community gardens
- Enhance infrastructure for safe pedestrian and non-motorized vehicle activity
- Enlisting faith-based groups in promoting improved nutrition and increased physical activity
- Provide consultation regarding planning, implementing and evaluation of wellness policies, healthy nutrition and safe places for physical activity.
- Multi-media consumer campaign, Find the Fun Now, which is designed to make it easier to find active fun anywhere in Pinellas. (www.findthefunnow.com)
Other activities within the Office to help carry out the mission are:
- Collaborate with community partner agencies and organizations to implement initiatives that promote healthy behaviors.
- Plan and conduct outreach to the community to educate about policy and environmental issues relating to physical activity and nutrition.
- Represents PinCHD and the office at various community meetings (coalitions, task forces, information exchange activities, etc.).
- Promote partner agencies healthy behavior programs to the community as well as early detection and screenings for chronic disease such as: breast cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
Email Advisory: Under Florida law, e-mail
addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response
to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact
this office by phone or in writing.
Office of Health Promotion and School Health
Pinellas County Health Department
205 Martin Luther King St. N
St. Petersburg, FL 33701