(You will need to have Acrobat Reader to view pdf files. To download a free copy of this software, please go to: http://www.adobe.com/ .)
Hurricane Information from the Department of Health
Special Needs Shelter (SpNS) Information:
Populations Vulnerable to High Winds and Flooding:
- Live in mobile homes
- Live in low areas
- Have special care requirements – especially those on electrically-operated medical equipment
- Live alone and require transportation
Steps to Take Prior to Registration:
Items to Bring to the Shelter:
- Discuss your medical/ health condition with your physician and determine what essential needs you will require.
- Predetermine your evacuation destination and arrange for special care or transportation.
- If you need transportation or require special care, and have no other alternative, register with the SpNS Program of the Emergency Management Division by calling your local fire department.
- Personal and medical information
- Daily prescription/ non-prescription medication for at least 3 days
- Special items such as hearing aids, eyeglasses, oxygen, special dietary food
- At least 2 changes of clothing, including warm jacket or sweater
- Blanket, pillow, folding chair, cot
- Personal hygiene items such as towel, washcloth, toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, soap, diapers
Special Needs Shelter Map (558kb pdf)
Criteria for SpNS Evacuees (80kb pdf)
SpNS Registration Form (32kb pdf)
FAQ (19kb pdf)